Annapurna region is the western Himalayan region which is one of the most popular trekking destinations. The major highlights of this region are mountains of Annapurna range and Dhawalagiri range accompanied by wonderful landscapes. Most of the area in the lower region is covered in lush forests of rhododendron, fir, oak, bamboo and pine trees. This area is conserved by the Nepal government as Annapurna Conservation Area. As this region is relatively in high altitude, the temperature is low almost throughout the year. Weather in this area also changes drastically. So it is necessary to know about the weather conditions before persuing the trekking.
The weather in Annapurna region can be categorized into four seasons and they are spring, summer, autumn and winter. Below are the weathers of the Annapurna region discussed in detail.
Annapurna Base Camp in Spring
Spring season most popular season for Annapurna base camp trek and much other trekking in this region. March, April and May are the spring months in Nepal. You will be favoured with the nice and warm weather in this season. The jungle will look so vibrant with the different colours of flower blossoms, especially of rhododendrons. As the weather is clear most of the time, you can enjoy the clear view of the mountains and landscapes.
Weather in Spring
Spring is characterized by warm temperature and calm weather. Morning and the night time may become chilly and windy but the temperature is bearable. Days become longer and the nights become shorter as the spring grows. The humidity of the atmosphere is low during spring so there is a low chance of rainfall. The average temperature of the Annapurna region varies from 5°C to 20°C on average but it varies according to the place and altitude.
Tips for treks in Spring season
- You are recommended to book the packages with trekking agencies or pre-book the teahouses you will be staying. In peak seasons like spring, the trail becomes crowded and you may not get proper rooms in the teahouses.
- You should consider wearing layered clothes as the day gets hotter in the afternoon and it might become cold and windy in the morning and evening.
- Even though spring starts with the end of cold days of winter, in some situations, the days might get unexpectedly cold so you need to consider packing warm clothes especially when you are trekking in early summer.
Annapurna Base Camp in Summer
Summer is considered to be the less appropriate season to trek as compared to other seasons. June, July and August are the months of Summer. The days are not clear and rainy most of the time. However, the post rainfall jungles look stunning. You can see flowers and wildlife at its best in summer. The deep green colours of the forests and the landscapes with partial fogs and clouds look so inviting and welcoming. You can explore the culture of local people and get attached to them. As summer in Nepal is time to plant the crops you can observe and take part in the process with the local people.
Weather in Summer
The weather during summer changes drastically within a single day and hence hard to predict. The humidity of the atmosphere is highest in spring and there will be rainfalls most of the time. The temperature drops to as low as 5-degree Celsius in the higher altitudes and can be higher than 30-degree celsius in the hotter days. June, July and August are summer months in Nepal which are not very popular for trekking. However, the rivers, waterfalls and the jungles look amazing in the summer. So it is an amazing opportunity to explore the jungles and wildlife.
Tips for treks in Summer Season
- Make sure to carry raincoats, waterproof jackets and quick-drying towels with you as you might face rainfall anytime.
- Since the might be slippery due to rainfall, you should be extra careful while trekking and you are recommended to take a guide with you or trek in the group.
- Use shoes with good grip to cope with slippery trails
- Do not forget to use hats, sunglasses and sunblock creams to escapes the sunburns.
Annapurna Base Camp in Autumn
Autumn is another peak season for trekking. The season starts with the end of monsoon. You can see the clear and mesmerizing view of the mountains during the trek. You can see the colours of autumn in the forest which is a wonderful sight. As autumn is a festive season in Nepal you can witness the celebration of the festivals such as Dashain and Tihar.
Weather in Autumn
Autumn is the most popular trekking season and the weather is the nicest among all seasons. The days are nice and sunny with warm temperature however night might become a little colder but the temperature is bearable. The weather remains to calm and clear almost all the time. The temperature ranges between 5°C-20°C
Tips for treks in Autumn Season
- As in spring, you should consider booking the package with trekking agencies or you should pre-book the rooms in teahouse as the trail gets crowded in the autumn.
- Even after the end of monsoon, occasional rainfall may happen so it is better to carry a raincoat with you.
Annapurna Base Camp in Winter
Winter begins with the end of the autumn season. The temperature gets lower and the days become chilly and windy in winter. Even though it becomes tougher to trek to high altitude regions like Annapurna Base Camp due to harsh weather conditions, you can do panorama treks. Winter is the best season to do panorama treks in the Annapurna region. The mountains look stunning with an extra layer of snowfall. As the atmosphere gets clear, you can get a clear view of the landscapes against crystal clear blue sky. You can also get the astonishing view of a starry night in winter.
Weather in Winter
Weather in winter become very dramatic in the higher altitude Annapurna regions. The temperature level drops to below freezing point, as low as -10°C. The nights are the coldest and the days might get as warm as 10/15 degree celsius in the Annapurna region. The temperature drops low as you get higher. There might be episodes of snowfall and snow blizzards in the mid-winter.
Tips for treks in Winter Season
- Bring warm and cosy clothes as you have to extremely low and freezing temperature
- We recommend you to bring a warm and light sleeping bag with you. Even though the teahouses provide you with bed and sleeping bags it might be helpful to keep you warm in the chilly nights
- Bring shoes with good grip/crampons to trek properly in the snowfield.
- Prepare yourself for a drastic change in weather and even snow blizzard if you are travelling in the high altitudes.
Weather conditions in the Annapurna region vary with the seasons. It is more favourable to trek in Autumn and Spring in Annapurna region. However, the summer and winter seasons also have their own specialities. If you prepare yourself properly with proper gears, you can trek and enjoy the beautiful landscapes of the Annapurna region at any time of the year.