Langtang Gosainkunda Lake Trek - 17 Days Itinerary
The Langtang Gosaikunda Trek lies in a remote and picturesque valley of the Langtang region and has everything to offer. With diverse landscapes, wildlife, jungle, lakes, and culture, etc., you will be in constant amazement. The view of the lofty mountains and beautiful lakes attracts trekkers all over the world. The area offers a wide range of landscapes, from high snow-capped mountains to low river valleys and lively forests. The presence of the Gosaikunda Lake and other lakes takes the beauty of the Langtang region to a whole new level.
This region is inhabited by Sherpa and Tamang communities. Gosainkunda Lake is one of the most famous religious sites of Nepal for Hindu pilgrims. Many devotees come here to visit every year. This region has many unique Buddhist festivals as well. So, Langtang Gosainkunda Trek is a gem for cultural exploration as well.
Langtang National Park is home to many snow-capped mountains and tropical jungles. Vantage points, like Tsergo Ri, offer wonderful views of Langtang Lirung, Ghangchhempo, Yala Peak, Morimoto peak, Pogen Dhopku, and more. Apart from these mountains, Ganesh Himal, Manaslu, and Annapurna ranges can also be seen along the way. The view of the Gosainkunda, Saraswatikunda, and Ganeshkuna surrounded by rocky mountains is one of the amazing views to behold. Apart from landscapes and lakes, you can explore much wildlife in their natural habitats. You will reach several incredible viewpoints, from where the wonderful views of the surrounding can be seen.
Langtang Gosainkunda Lake Trek Route
Langtang Gosainkunda Trek starts with a bus ride to Syabrubesi from Kathmandu. You will trek to Lama Hotel and then Langtang village the next day. You will then trek to Kyanjin Gompa where you will spend the night as a part of acclimatization. You can also hike to Tsergo Ri that day. From Kyanjin Gompa, you will trek back to Lama Hotel, Thulo Syabru, Sing Gompa and finally to Gosainkunda. You will spend a day exploring Gosainkunda and return back using a different trail. You will follow the trail through Ghopte, Mangengoth, Gulphu Bhanjyang, Chisapani and finally to Kathmandu.
Langtang Gosaikunda Lake Trek Highlights
- A scenic bus ride from Kathmandu to Syabrubesi
- Excursion of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Kathmandu
- Chance to enjoy the glorious view of mountains such as Langtang, Manaslu, Annapurna, Ganesh, Hiunchuli, Jugal, etc.
- Visit monasteries at Shin Gompa and Kyanjin Gompa, which has a cheese factory
- Walk through dense alpine and rhododendron forests
- Explore the culture and tradition of Tamang, Sherpa and other ethnic people living in the villages like Langtang and Helambu
- Reaching Tsergo Ri, the highest point of the trek to get outstanding views of the mountains like Langtang Lirung, Ghangchhempo, Yala Peak, Morimoto peak, Pogen Dhopku, etc.
- Visit the majestic Gosaikunda Lake which is a famous religious pilgrimage site
- Chance to witness the diverse flora and fauna in Langtang National Park
Langtang Gosainkunda Lake Trek Difficulty
Langtang Gosainkunda Trek is considered to be Strenuous grade trekking. In this trekking, you will have to walk for 7/8 hours a day at an altitude above 3000 meters. You have to trek about 12 days on the flat to steep trails. The temperature during the strenuous treks can be as low as -15 degrees celsius. Trekking in such cold climate conditions and for such a long period of time requires you to have a good level of physical fitness. In addition, you also need some degree of mental toughness to complete this trip.
- Cardio exercises including running, cycling, jogging, push-ups, and pull-ups for about 4-5 days a week for 3 months before your trip will come in extremely handy.
- You should also be involved in developing core strength and muscle endurance in weight training.
- Hiking in the hills in different weather conditions will be good preparation for this trip.
- If you have access, kayaking and swimming can be very beneficial ways to develop the strength and endurance required for this trip.
Meals and Accommodation in Langtang Gosainkunda Trek
During your 13 days of trekking, you will stay in the tea houses run by local people. These teahouses provide you with basic services. They may not be luxurious but their hospitality is always heartwarming. Staying in these teahouses is also a chance to explore the culture, tradition, and lifestyle of the people who are residing in those areas. Food items such as dal bhat, pasta, noodles, potatoes, vegetables, cereals, eggs, rice, soup, etc are available.
While in Kathmandu, you will stay at a 3-starred hotel with breakfast services. For lunch and dinner, we let you explore the different food items available in the city according to your preferences.
Weather and Best Season to Trek Langtang Gosainkunda Lake
Spring and Autumn seasons are considered to be the best time for Langtang Gosainkunda Trek as the weather and temperature are calm and consistent in these seasons. The months of the spring offer the bloom of rhododendrons and many seasonal flowers. Autumn is also one of the best times to explore and you get to enjoy different Nepali festivals such as Dashain and Tihar.
Winter and Summer are taken as less appropriate seasons as compared to spring and autumn. In winter, the temperature level drops below freezing point making it less comfortable to trek to the higher regions. Days are chilly followed by episodes of snowfalls and blizzards. Similarly, summer comes with heavy rainfall and unpredictable weather. However, with the proper gear, you can trek to the Langtang Gosainkunda region all around the year.