Langtang Helambu Trek Itineray - 13 Days
Langtang Helambu Trek takes you on an amazing journey providing views of snow-peaked mountains, picturesque villages, rivers, forests, and wildlife along the Langtang-Gosaikunda-Helambu route. This less-explored region of Langtang is slowly getting the attention it deserves. This trek extends the Langtang Valley Trek by taking you to additional places like Gosaikunda Lake and the amazing village of Helambu.
This 13-day Langtang Helambu Trek package includes 12 days of trekking starting from Syabrubesi. This is the perfect trek to get close views of mountains like Langtang Lirung, Pemathang Ri, Langshisha Ri, Dorje Lakpa, and Kangchenpo. Langtang National Park is home to several species of plants, animals, and birds as well as various snow-peaked mountains. Walking through several villages like Langtang, Kyanjin Gompa, Thulo Syabru and Helambu village draped by beautiful mountains is also an amazing opportunity to explore the lifestyle of Tamang, Sherpa, and other ethnic groups living in those villages.
Gosaikunda Lake is another major highlight of this trek. The lake, which is a famous pilgrimage destination for both Buddhists and Hindus, lies at a height of 4380 meters. It is nestled in the lap of some mighty towering peaks. Climbing the top of Tsergo Ri is another thrilling activity during this trek from where the best view of mountains like Langtang Lirung, Ghangchhempo, and Yala Peak can be seen.
Langtang Helambu Trek Highlights
- The best overall trail in the Langtang region
- Chance to enjoy the glorious view of mountains such as Langtang, Manaslu, Annapurna, Ganesh, Hiunchuli, Jugal, etc.
- A scenic bus ride from Kathmandu to Syabrubesi
- Excursion of UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Kathmandu
- Visit the Kyanjin Gompa, Shin Gompa, and other Buddhist monasteries and Swiss Cheese factory
- Walk through dense alpine and rhododendron forests
- Explore the culture and tradition of Tamang, Sherpa, and other ethnic people living in the villages like Langtang and Helambu
- Reaching Tsergo Ri, the highest point of the trek to get outstanding views of the mountains like Langtang Lirung, Ghangchhempo, Yala Peak, Morimoto peak, Pogen Dhopku, etc.
- Visit the majestic Gosaikunda Lake which holds enormous religious significance
- Chance to witness the diverse flora and fauna in Langtang National Park
Food and Accommodation
Staying at tea houses gives you the chance to explore the simple way of living away from luxury products and modern devices. You will have three meals, all provided by these tea houses. Food may include dal bhat, pasta, noodles, potatoes, vegetables, cereals, eggs, rice, soup, etc. Tea houses are clean and provide warm, homely services. While in Kathmandu, you will stay at a 3-starred hotel with breakfast service. For lunch and dinner, we don't want to bore you with a fixed meal and want you to explore amazing restaurants serving a variety of food and services.
Langtang Helambu Trek starts from Syabrubesi. You will trek to Lama hotel, Langtang Village, and then Kyanjin Gompa. You will spend a day at Kyanjin Gompa as a part of the acclimatization. From Kyanjin Gompa You will resume the trek to Lama Hotel, Thulo Syabru, Sing Gompa, and Gosaikunda. From Gosainkunda, you will trek to Tharepati crossing the Laure Bina Pass. From Tharepati, you will trek to Tarkeghyang, Sermanthang, and finally to Melamchi. You will take a ride to Kathmandu from Melamchi.
How Difficult is Langtang Helambu Trek?
Langtang Valley Trek falls under strenuous grade trekking. Tre trail ranges from almost flat terrains to high and difficult mountain passes. You will walk for 7/8 hours a day at an altitude higher than 3000 meters. The temperature and oxygen level drops low in the higher region which causes altitude sickness. It will be a total of 13 days of trekking in the Langtang region. So you need to be physically fit to pursue this trek. Apart from that you also have to be mentally prepared to do this trekking.
- Cardio exercises including running, cycling, jogging, push-ups, and pull-ups for about 4-5 days a week for 3 months before your trip will come in extremely handy.
- You should also be involved in developing core strengths. and muscle endurance in weight training.
- Hiking in the hills in different weather conditions will be good preparation for this trip.
- If you have access, kayaking will also be a very good way to develop the strength and endurance required for this trip.
Weather and Best Time to Trek
Trekking in the Langtang region in each season has its own pros and cons. Autumn and spring are the most popular trekking seasons of all. Autumn starts in early September and ends in late November. The weather is usually nice and calm with a clear sky most of the time this season. Similarly, March, April, and May are spring months when the weather is similar to autumn, at least in terms of clearness. Spring starts as the days start to get warmer. The trees start to grow new leaves and wildflowers bloom which is an amazing process to observe.
Winter and summer are considered as less favorable as the winter days are unbearably cold and summer comes with heavy rainfall. It is extremely hard to trek in the higher region due to episodes of snowfall and blizzards in winter. However, in summer, with proper preparation to cope with rainfall, you can pursue Langtang Helambu Trek.