Langtang is the nearest mountainous trekking region from Kathmandu. Langtang Valley trek is full of views of mountains, scenic landscapes, small villages, and indigenous settlements. This trek is doable in each season with equally rewarding views of nature. But trekking in Langtang Valley in each season has its own pros and cons. Autumn is the most popular season as it is the peak time for trekking in almost all regions of Nepal. Autumn includes the month of September, October, and November during which precipitation is very low with pleasant weather and clear sky. Spring is the next popular season for Langtang Valley and other treks in Nepal. While summer and winter aren’t peak seasons, people from all over the world complete their Langtang Valley trek in these seasons with some extra preparation and enjoy the less crowded trails. No matter when you plan your Langtang Valley trek, be ready for the awesome views of snow-capped mountains, rhododendron forests, witness various exotic animals and learn about the unique Tibetan Buddhism followed by people living in those scenic villages.
Langtang Valley trek in Spring
Spring is the season in Nepal when you can see beautiful rhododendron flowers blooming throughout the trek. This season is also perfect for people looking for photographic beauty with clear skies and no dark clouds. Moderate temperature with less precipitation makes spring awesome with fewer things to worry about and more things to enjoy. The month of March welcomes spring in Nepal usually starting from mid-March and lasting till May. Langtang Valley trek in Spring lets you enjoy the scenic beauty of Himalayas while different species of plants and flowers decorate your trail and birds sing beautiful songs.
Weather and Temperature of Langtang Valley in Spring
The warm daytime temperature is the main characteristic of weather in Spring. The nights may be colder but is not extreme. Days gradually become longer than nights with awesome sky views slight wind blows. The average day time temperature at lower villages in Langtang valley trek ranges from 10°C to 20°C but nights and temperature at higher places become unpredictable.
Tips for Spring Trek
- Prepare for slightly cold temperature during early spring usually in the month of March
- Booking should be done early to get the best accommodation choices. Spring is a busy season and may leave you with less or no choices if you don’t book early.
- With hot days and cold late evenings and nights, you may want to remove or add clothes throughout the day. Dressing in layers makes it easier for you to do so.
Langtang Valley trek in Summer
Though summer is not a peak season to trek in Langtang valley, it only makes it less crowded and lets you feel more close to nature. You can enjoy the same amazing forests, flora and fauna and views of glorious mountains while trekking in summer. Summer coincides with Monsoon in Nepal. The forests washed with rain look more beautiful and rivers soar with a high volume of water. You also get to witness the traditional methods of farming while trekking through the settlements.
Weather and Temperature of Langtang Valley in Summer
It starts to get hot from the months from May and peaks around June and July. Days are very dry and hot in Nepal with a temperature higher than 30°C and an average temperature is 12°C. You may start to see rainfall from mid-July. Rainfall makes it very hard to walk on slippery trails and uphill climbing becomes hard due to hot temperatures even when there’s no rain.
Summer usually stays up to mid-September and Langtang region is quite not popular in early to mid-summer. But, if you want to trek in Summer, you have to make some extra preparation and set your expectations according to that. Trekking in summer lets you enjoy various tropical fruits. At the end of summer, you will see species of flora in their best.
Tips for Summer Trek
- Carry all the things needed to keep you and your belongings waterproof, raincoats, zip locks, rain cover, etc.
- Bring hats to give you shade on hot sunny days and good shoes to provide you proper grip in slippery paths.
- Also, don't forget mosquito repellents, though there will be less to no mosquitoes in higher altitudes, you may need them in earlier villages.
Langtang Valley trek in Autumn
Autumn is the best time for Langtang Valley trek. It is also a peak trekking season in Nepal. Autumn is famous for the clear mountain views, pleasant weather and climate. During Autumn, also known as fall, you will see golden, dried leaves of trees falling to ground completing a cycle. Neither hot nor cold temperature during Autumn makes it easier to complete multi-day trekking in the ups and downs of the mountainous region. Autumn starts from the mid-September and ends towards November. Autumn in Nepal is also a very auspicious time during which you can witness traditional harvesting of crops and major festivals like Dashain and Tihar.
Weather and Temperature of Langtang Valley in Spring
Autumn days are quite shorter with bearably cold nights getting on an average 5 °C. Daytime is perfect for uphill climbing with shorts and shirts. During the evening, you may want to wear a fleece of a jacket. Of course, the temperature we are talking about is the temperature in lower regions. You may need a down jacket for trekking in higher elevations. Langtang Valley trekking is most enjoyable in the Autumn. Late Autumn may start to get cold as winter arrives so you have to pack wisely.
Tips for Autumn Trek
- Booking early is a must in the Langtang region as Autumn is the peak trekking season and Langtang Valley trek is one of the most popular treks in Nepal.
- Trekking routes are usually crowded. It's nice if you love communicating with people and meeting new people. If that’s not the case, you may want to explore alternative routes in the Langtang region that are less crowded.
- Wear layered clothes and prepare for cold nights in late Autumn
Langtang Valley Trek in Winter
Views of mountains and landscapes are amazing during winter and skies are clear. Langtang valley looks outstanding during this season. But, if you aren’t used to cold weather, then it is going to be a bit tough. Therefore, you have to pack clothes accordingly. Down jacket, gloves, woollen socks, beanie, neck gaiter, extra sleeping bag, thermal insulation should be brought. This season makes the Langtang region crowded even though it is a very popular trek. In Nepal, the winter season starts in December and ends in February.
Most of the tea houses are closed due to the lack of travelers during this season and the area may seem uninhabited. But, this won’t be a problem because some tea houses still remain open.
Weather and Temperature of Langtang Valley in Winter
The winter is cold throughout the season while January is the coldest with a minimum temperature of -3°C in lower altitude villages. Daytime remains comfortable in lower regions with an average temperature of 7°C. But, nights are colder with temperatures below freezing point. High altitude places have unpredictable weather usually below 0°C. You may also get to witness snowfall and cold winds.
Tips for Winter Trek
- You may have to walk on snow, so bringing crampons makes it easier to walk.
- While trekking in upper regions, you should be prepared for harsh weather conditions like heavy snow and extreme cold.
- Trek during early or late winter to avoid the peak of the winter and extreme cold.