Are you a solo traveler or looking forward to going on solo traveling? If yes, then this is the right page for you.
Solo travel is a very daring thing to do. Getting out of your comfort zone and reaching beautiful places is something that only some can accomplish.
Traveling solo comes with a great advantage. You can go anywhere, eat at any restaurant, and do any activities that come to your mind.
Furthermore, sometimes you might get mesmerized by the beauty and want to stay longer at that place. At times like this, traveling alone will make your wish come true.
How safe is solo travel?
Solo travel is safe if you are prepared and educated about the destination that you are heading to.
A solo traveler's safety depends on the country or region you are looking forward to going to. Some places can be safe, allowing you to enjoy your time fully. However, some areas might be a little dangerous for a traveler to roam alone. Travelers have to be extra careful at those types of places.
Here are some safety tips that can come in handy for solo travelers:
- Research your destination thoroughly before starting your journey.
- Purchase travel insurance before starting your journey.
- Ensure you have downloaded offline maps, purchased data packs, and have enough cash/bank balance to be prepared for any situation.
- Also, carry a power bank or spare battery for your cellphone.
- Secure your valuables and avoid losing important documents and other belongings.
- Choose your accommodation carefully. Read the reviews before booking a room.
- Share your itinerary with your families and friends you trust. Also, stay connected with them and keep them updated.
- Catch up on the local laws. Some places you are traveling to might have strict rules or prohibitions.
- Always trust your gut instinct. Try to avoid any suspicious people or situations as much as possible.
- Don't trust anyone easily unless they're fellow travelers.
- Avoid going out at night alone. Also, never tell strangers you're traveling alone.
Necessities for solo travelers
- Travel documents, including passport, visa, driving license, tickets & booking information, and permits.
- Travel gears. Make sure you have packed your necessary travel gear before leaving if you are hiking or trekking.
- Carry multi-purpose shoes and sunglasses for your comfort.
- Clothing based on the season. Pack warm clothes for winter and light clothes for summer. Fast-drying clothes are very suitable for people traveling solo.
- First aid kit and the medicines you intake daily.
- Toiletries include toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, sanitary products, and more.
- Cash and debit/credit cards, Earplugs, eye masks, face masks, snacks, and protein bars.
Advantages of solo travel
- Solo traveling will help you step out of your comfort zone and learn to live every moment to its fullest.
- You become independent and confident every time you travel solo.
- You learn to enjoy your own company.
- You make new friends along your journey and create fond memories with them.
- Traveling solo will help you realize what you want to do and achieve professionally. The more you experience new things, the more insight you collect about numerous things.
- Solo travel also helps you reflect on yourself and get to know yourself better.
- It gives you the freedom to explore any place you want.
- Solo traveling helps you to grow as a person. While traveling alone, you'll learn to interact with people with different perceptions.
- You will fall in love with adventure. Traveling alone will also heal your soul.
- Solo traveling is peaceful. You get enough time to appreciate the beauty of the destination.
Top spots for solo traveling in Nepal
Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal, is the best place for solo travelers to visit while in Nepal.
The best places to explore are Kathmandu Durbar Square, Swoyambhunath, Boudhanath, Pashupatinath, and Chandagiri Hills. It has its own historical and cultural significance. Additionally, these destinations are the finest for people worldwide.
Pokhara is Nepal's second-biggest city on Phewa Lake. The places to not miss while at Pokhara are:
- Davis Fall
- Phewa Lake
- Rupa and Begnas Lakes
- Gupteshwor Cave
- Mahendra Gupha
- Bindhabasini Temple & Old Bazaar
- Barahi Temple
You can also do fun activities like bungee jumping, paragliding, rafting, mountain biking, and sightseeing.
3. Trishuli River
The Trishuli River in central Nepal offers the most adventurous rafting experience.
It connects Kathmandu and Pokhara and has many ancient temples and historic villages. You can also visit Manakamana temple while on the way and get on the cable car ride.
4. Chitwan National Park
Chitwan National Park, known for its biodiversity, is in south-central Nepal.
The national park is famous for preserving the one-horned rhinos and Bengal tigers. It has dense forests and grassy plains and is also the habitat of much Asian wildlife, including birds, crocodiles, and more.
Bhaktapur is the best-preserved medieval town in Nepal.
Bhaktapur Durbar Square is also one of the world heritage sites of Nepal (listed by UNESCO). While at Bhaktapur, you can visit the Golden Gate, Nyatapola Temple, Garuda Bar, Bhairabnath Temple, and the National Art Gallery.
Apart from these beautiful destinations, travelers who are into adventures can go hiking and trekking. The famous trek route appropriate for solo travelers in Nepal is listed below:
- Everest Base Camp Trek,
- Gokyo Lake Trek,
- Annapurna Base Camp Trek,
- Langtang Valley Trek,
- Poon Hill Trek,
- Mardi Himal Trek,
- Dolpo Trek,
- Manaslu Trek,
- Upper Mustang Trek,
- Langtang Trek,
- Helambu Trek
Best time for solo travel in Nepal
Nepal has moderate weather, so it is very suitable to travel during various seasons. Tourists from worldwide visit Nepal all year round.
One doesn't have to wait for the appropriate season to witness the beauty of destinations, including Pokhara, Kathmandu, Bhaktapur, Boudhanath, and more.
However, if travelers are avid trekkers and hikers, spring and autumn are the best seasons as the weather is pleasant. Furthermore, the view of the mountains is more magnificent during the spring and autumn seasons. Also, you can witness the blooming rhododendrons, the national flower of Nepal.
Pros and cons of travel solo in Nepal
Solo travel is peaceful and fun, but it has pros and cons.
- Traveling solo in Nepal is flexible. You won't have to worry about blending with others and can rest without guilt.
- While traveling with people, you might have to compromise many things. However, traveling alone, you can have your own pace and take your time to appreciate the beauty.
- If your friends and families have busy schedules and can't make time to travel with you, Nepal is the best place for you to explore beautiful destinations alone. The local people are very friendly and will welcome you warm-heartedly.
- You will socialize more and make new friends. You will also connect with local people and learn about their culture and traditions.
- Traveling alone will help you build your communication skills. You will also get a chance to understand new languages.
- Solo traveling will make you happy from the heart. The accomplishment will bring joy that will last long in your memories.
- Traveling alone will boost your confidence. You will feel more empowered the more you tackle your problems by yourself.
- Solo traveling helps to hone your decision-making skills as you will have nobody to rely on.
- You might feel lonely sometimes while traveling. Sometimes going on adventures can be more fun while you have a friend or close one around.
- The cost will be higher when you travel alone. You can split bills of hotels and food while traveling with friends and pals. But you'll have to bear all the expenses alone while traveling solo.
- You must be very cautious of your surroundings to feel safe while traveling solo.
- You might get lost while exploring your destination.
- If you don't like eating alone, solo traveling will make it hard for you for the first few times. Later you will get used to it.
- Taking pictures while traveling is a must to secure those moments. However, if you travel alone, you will have many photos of the views, but you will be missing the pictures.